Friday 26 April 2013

Courage

 
A card with absolutely no stamps! 
I made this for three challenges - Moxie Fab's The Wonder of Watercolor, Splitcoaststampers Mix-Ability (to use drawing or doodling), and the Free For All Challenge,
to write a sentiment rather than stamping. 
Here's the story behind the sentiment. 
When I saw my sweet friend Dina Kowal's sample for the Mix-ability challenge,
I was astounded by how beautiful it was - you can see it HERE.
 I showed it to my son and said, "I know she's fabulously talented, but how does she do that?"  and he said "She's not afraid."  
When I told Dina, she said it made her teary and to give him a hug! 
As a young man headed for Art College in September, this has been part of his journey - learning to "let go" and not be worried about people's expectations, or about messing up, but to just CREATE! 
It inspired my sentiment for today's card.
I sponged a watercolor paper panel with ink before loosely watercoloring grass and flowers in several layers. I then drew in some lines and dots, and added a doodled border to frame. I wrote the word "courage" with different size letters on watercolor paper before popping it up in a random fashion. The whole panel is popped up on a watercolor paper card base - I love the rich feel of the paper!
I used Winsor & Newton watercolors and the only other supplies are a small Woodware butterfly punch plus a black fine line pen. 
Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Kerry said...

Beautiful! I love the doodling...it adds just the right amount of whimsy to this lovely card!

MariLynn said...

Both yours and Dina's card were out of this world gorgeous. I really like your doodling on your card. I know these MIX challenges are encouraging me to try things I have never done before. I really struggled with Jeanne's challenge to have a sentiment with no stamps. I like how you did your cut up. I tried doing mine with little punched out circles and the word "JOY" but I couldn't make it work.

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! Great job on this card! I'm amazed that it was made not using any stamps...Beautifully done!

Mary J said...

So gorgeous Bridget - I love your watercolouring and the lettering is fab!

Have a great weekend!

Mary x

shirley-bee said...

This is so beautiful, as was Dina's card that inspired you. I love your son's perceptive comment.

Ellen Taylor said...

Love that story!! Beautifully done on letting go! Your card turned out fabulously! When I first looked at it I thought it was a stamp~Kudos!

Petti said...

this card is just stunning!

Karen Dunbrook said...

love....love....love it mf...you are so talented!!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Bridget! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)