Sunday 11 May 2014

Butterfly Trail


Hello!  Here's a card using some of the techniques we're seeing in the
Watercolor for Cardmakers Online Class -  it's been a lot of fun learning
from the fabulous demonstrators and teachers! 

My card is also for the Featured Stamper Challenge honouring Nancy, aka NancyK, at Splitcoaststampers today, and here is Nancy's card which gave me inspiration.  I'm also entering it into the Moxie Fab World Hip on Handwriting challenge!
I sprayed the watercolor paper liberally with water and then added various watercolors, allowing them to blend a bit - in areas where the paint wasn't moving well, I sprayed a bit more water.  I then spritzed on water with a loaded paintbrush, let it sit a minute or two, then pressed on a paper towel to lift off some of the paint, as was demonstrated in the section of the class on backgrounds.
The paper is a lighter version, so it had warped a bit, I ended up adhering it to some strong cardstock for a nice smooth finish before popping it up on the white card base.  
Jennifer Maguire showed us how to watercolor with embossed images and I found it easy to do because the paint pools right inside the lines - I used various Ranger Distress inks on an acrylic block, like Jean Mannis demonstrated, with Hero Arts Antique Engraved Butterflies - they have fabulous matching dies.  The sentiment is from Wplus9 Handlettered Hello and it's embossed in white on a vellum banner which has been cut using MFT Fishtail Flags Die-namics.
Working with rainbow colors makes me happy - maybe it's
because we have gray skies and rain so frequently here in Belfast!
Whatever the weather in your area, I hope you're having a good Sunday
 and if you're celebrating Mother's Day, I hope it's special.
Thanks so much for stopping by today! 

17 comments:

Petti said...

Love the rainbow colour very colourful!

Lisa Kind said...

Gorgeous! Love the fun, bright colors and your background!

Heather Rogers said...

Stunning, Bridget! Love the fun colors and fab watercolor effect. :)

Lin said...

Bridget, this is so lovely! These are my kinds of colors and you've used them beautifully!

Irish Cherokee said...

What I love about water colors is the ability to blend. Beautifully done.

cdoggett01@yahoo.com said...

Fabulous color!! Fabulous card!!

Jean said...

Fabulous job taking the lessons and combining them into a beautiful card. Great design, too!

Anonymous said...

Bridget,
I adore this card!
It caught my eye!
From the colors to the design to everything, it is wonderful!
Great job on it!

Teri

Hannelie said...

This will make the saddest person happy!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Congrats mf...so excited to see your card as a winner..so deserved!
hugs,
Karen

Lucy E. said...

Your card is beautiful! Congrats on winning the Moxie Fab World Challenge!

Miriam Prantner said...

Stunning card! The background is fantastic and congrats on winning over at MFW!

Taunya Butler said...

What I love most about this card is the beautiful bursts of color and those butterflies, oh they are amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on the win over at Moxie Fab World!! Looks so awesome!!
Taunya Butler at daisiesgirl.com

Heidi C. said...

beautiful!!! Italia think this card is will bright any gilrs birthday!!!

I Card Everyone said...

Bridget!! I love your creation - I too enjoyed this lesson in the WC class. Congrats =]

Unknown said...

This is the most beautiful card with watercolor I have seen so far ! WOW, thank you so much for sharing ! Greetings from Anita

Lynne Hill said...

I love the way you have given the butterflies just one colour. I often have problems with colouring in butterflies, but seeing you put just the one colour and it looking so effective gives me encouragement to try the same. Great card! Can't wait to try it.